Friday, January 4, 2013

Blank Slate, Blank Mind

I’ve got nothing. I’ve been sporadically walking in and out of my office and sitting in front of a blank Word document waiting for some insight to pour forth from my fingers. Still nothing.

 
Maybe 2013 is really a blank slate? During my day, usually when I’m cleaning, I come up with one or two topics that I’d like to discuss in my blog. I’ve had no topics come to mind. Maybe it’s because I’ve done minimal cleaning over the Holiday Season, or minimal anything for that matter. That’s probably the issue right there. Zero happening. I’m not sure whether I should jump for joy or be afraid.

This definitely was the first Christmas in years that I actually got to relax and enjoy. It was amazing this year because of the holiday traditions we not only enjoyed but created. We spent more time hanging out as a family than shopping in the stores. It was really great. Even though it was so much more laid back this year it still feels hard to drag myself out from the fog that usually comes in the aftermath of all the merry making and food consumption.

I’ve never been one to just sit around and get nothing accomplished. I am staring ahead at my future and realize that there are no goals, no major aspirations or nothing new that I’m working towards. I mean don’t get me wrong, I’ve got all the same resolutions that most people find themselves looking at the beginning of the year. I’d like to eat better, exercise a bit more, be a better parent, etc. Who doesn’t think these things after the holidays are spent consuming their body weight in pastries, cookies, chocolate and alcohol? After your children have also been hyped up on refined sugar and all the stimulation that the season brings?

It’s just not the same though. I ALWAYS have those goals in the back of my mind and often do things that improve upon them. I am normally used to having something else to work towards. I have been knocking around the idea that I want to start working towards a new career, which has got me completely muddled. I want to find something I’m passionate about and can see myself enjoying, but again who doesn’t? I would like to begin working on a similar project as the author in the book I’m currently reading pursued called “The Happiness Project” of one person’s journey on trying to lead a more meaningful and happy life. Once again, who doesn’t?

So here I am staring at a Word screen with words spewing out but really nothing new and exciting being said that a New Year’s post usually requires. I just heard something that stated the year to come will somewhat resemble how you spent celebrating New Year’s Eve. If that’s the case I’ll be spending a lot of time sitting on the couch watching movies with my family desperately trying to keep my eyes open. While this sounds very peaceful it doesn’t leave me much to work towards.  It’s also making it very difficult to get motivated.

I am however excited at the prospect that I can work on ANYTHING I would like. I should look at it backwards and thank my stars that my goals aren’t set for me, there is nothing laid out for me or any pressing situation that is forcing me to not work on the things I want to.  I guess as they say the world is my oyster.  Although I think oysters are disgusting, I think I’m going to change it to the world is my cheesecake.  Hmmm maybe not so good when trying to stick to the eating better resolutions, the world is my Vanilla Yogurt?  I think it needs some work.

Happy New Year’s to everyone and here’s hoping that everyone is also enjoying a blank slate in 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment